21.8.12

Random Fury

Last night when the women at Soul Collage were talking about Generose I became progressively angrier and angrier... I was so mad that I almost got up and walked out.  They kept talking about how nice it is, and I thought, THAT'S BULLSHIT. Most of the nurses treat patients like crap, they don't take care of our personal belongings that we have to surrender upon arrival, and the kids who go in come out worse than they were to begin with.  I've discussed this with many Generose veterans.  We all agree that it's a terrible place and worsens our problems, but we suppress our depression / anger / target behaviors because we will do anything to stay out of there.  Generose really isn't a place to get help or get well; it's just a place to put mentally ill kids away until their parents find a way to deal with them. 

The Soul Collage women changed the subject right when I was thinking I couldn't stand listening to it anymore.  I was SO glad when they stopped talking about it.  I haven't been so mad just from listening to someone talk about a trigger from my past in a long time.  I was FURIOUS.  I wanted to say something, give my two cents, but one of the women is a nurse there.  I didn't want to hurt her feelings or be rude.  She actually seems very nice, but she works with children, not adolescents.  I only remember two kind nurses on the adolescent ward, and there were many, many nurses. 

2 comments:

  1. I used to think that. But it really did help me. After being to two other hospitals, it made me appreciate it. I think it's more of a "crisis" center, which means they try to find a solution and get you out in the real world as soon as possible. Generose saved my life I think. So did all the help I've gotten, but I think you need to take everything into consideration, the nurses are there to help you, if they weren't they wouldn't work there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Eleanore. Generose was very helpful for me in so many ways. There are different ways of thinking of situations, and I can understand how some ways seem miserable. At first it was terrible, because I felt terrible. But after a few group sessions and talking to nurses and getting my meds straightened out way faster than I would have outside of the hospital... I think it was a great learning experience. It's a vacation from the real world. Time didn't even exist there for me, and I figured out a lot of stuff.

    ReplyDelete